MMDA 1.0 is Released
The Mining Law Committee, supported by the Administrative Committee it established to undertake this task, after a two year consultation and drafting process, published the MMDA Version 1.0 on the project website, http://www.mmdaproject.org on April 4, 2011.
The Model Mining Development Agreement is a project of the Mining Law Committee of the International Bar Association. See the home page of the IBA Mining Law Committee at http://www.ibanet.org/LPD/SEERIL/Mining_Law/Default.aspx. Participants in the project have operated under overall guidance of the officers of the Mining Law Committee, including the Co-Chair of the Mining Law Committee, Peter Leon, as well as from earlier this year the new Chair, Luis Carlos Rodrigo Prado.
The goal of the MMDA project has been to develop a best current practice mine development agreement, in an open and consultative process which respects divergent views.
Sustainable Development Strategies Group, a not for profit research and teaching institute, agreed at the request of the International Bar Association to serve as administrative manager and fiscal agent for certain aspects of the MMDA Project. These included a major role in organizing of several of the consultation events.
Consultation on the MMDA included:
- A Government Forum was held at the time of the World Mines Ministries Forum and the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada meeting in Toronto in March, 2010.
The MMDA Project held a Civil Society Forum in Toronto in April of 2010 at which it sought and obtained focused comment from civil society civil society advocates.
- Participation in a meeting organized by Soros Foundation Kazakhstan and Revenue Watch in Astana, Kazakhstan in August 2010 to discuss mining agreements, transparency and the Model Mining Development Agreement;
- Participation in an October, 2010 meeting of the African Union and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in conjunction with the validation workshop of the International Study Group on African Mining Regimes.
- On October 12, 2010, IBA Mining Law Committee Chair Peter Leon discussed the MMDA project at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
- On December 2, 2010 the MMDA was presented and discussed at a meeting at the China University of Geosciences and on December 3, 2010 at the Law Centre of the Chinese Ministry of Land and Resources in Beijing.
- On April 5, 2011, the MMDA v 1.0. was presented and discussed at the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation/IBA biennial meeting in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.